Painted Kitchen Cabinets {The Reveal} - - Thrifty

The day has come my friends.

LET US REJOICE!


My kitchen cabinet transformation is complete.

Before I show you the after, lets take a look at the before.

Waa waaaaa Gross.

The most majorest hugest worstest problem is that this corner has 0 natural lighting.

It may as well be in a basement.

Seriously.

This is compounded by the fact that the cabinets are the same color as the floor after we got our hardwoods installed. Lame-o. I felt like the boring cabinets detracted from the beauty of the flooring.

Maybe if the cabinets had been a few shades darker I could have lived with them, but the boring on boring was just BOR-ING!

My solution to the problem?

Lights, Paint, WHITE.

Lets see how I did.

First I painted the countertops using the Rustoleum Countertop Transformations Kit in Desert Sand.

Ahh already 100x lighter and brighter!

Then, because I damaged the wall a bit, I quickly installed a beadboard backsplash using Martha Stewart Paintable Beadboard Wallpaper. I had only intended for this to be a temporary backsplash but it has held up very well perfectly for the abuse it has been surrounded by.

At the same time we also installed a rope light, which refused to stay put.

It was later replaced with Hampton Bay Xenon Under-mount Light Pucks.

I did the same countertop and backsplash treatment to the island/bar.

(This is an awesome example of what I mean about the flooring matching the cabinets.)

Then it was time to paint the cabinets.

(To see my progress day by day click here, here, here, and here.)

I used the Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations kit in Pure White.

Day 1 was spent mostly setting up a work table for the doors and painting them and the upper base.

I hadnt touched the bottom section at all. After I spent an entire day working on this project in January, it got sidelined and remained this way for 3 months. Yup. Just like this. Half white, no doors. Perfect.

Sigh!

3 months later Were back on track. I finished the cabinet doors (all that would fit on my work table at one time) and rehung them. I also removed all the lower doors and primed the base cabinets and painted the back of the lower cabinet doors.

Day 3 I finished painting the cabinet doors, but they still needed time to dry.

Then I had this grand plan to build out the wimpy contractors island/bar (I dont think Ill ever know what to call it) with some chunky moulding (1×4) to give it a board & batten appearance.

I have board & batten treatments in the dining room and entryway, which are both visible from the kitchen. Cohesiveness people!

Day 4 I completed the corner section of the kitchen. Now both upper and lower cabinets are primed, painted, sealed. Finished! Almost. I still have to finish the island/bar. Ugh!

Day 5 I installed corbels, and primed the entire island/bar with 2 coats.

I could have finished it this day, but I was being lazy ;)

Day 6 I finished painting the bar, sealed it, and cleaned up :)

And there you have it!

*********

Total Renovations Cost Breakdown:

Small Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations Kit  - $80

Small Rustoleum Countertop Transformations Kit (x2) $131/ea $262

Lumber for bar moulding $47

Corbels (x5) $7/ea $35

1 roll Paintable Beadboard Wallpaper $22

Xenon Undermount Lighting System $30

1 can Zinsser Oil Based Primer (on hand) FREE

Total Cost of Kitchen Renovations = ~ $476

*********

There you have it.

For less than $500 I transformed my cave kitchen into my dream kitchen.

This is the cave corner. Not so cave-y anymore!

So fresh and clean!

The barstools really pop from the white, but I still might paint them a satin brown instead of black.

Nice and bright :)

*swoon*

You can see here the end of the cabinets with the new moulding (1×4).

This corner used to  creep me out. It would get so dark that at night I would have to put a nightlight under there because it would look like a black vortex.

Now its all bright and pretty and it makes me smile :)

Before & Afters

What do you think?

Do you like the changes to the bar?

How about my round rug?

Im really happy with the way it turned out.

Andseriously

Im diggin the white. 

Like, I just sit in the living room and stare with this big cheesy grin.

Im in love with my kitchen what a hottie.

*swoon*

Now, because I have spent literally all day every day for the last 7 days working on painting the kitchen my house is disgusting. Laundry is piled high. Groceries are non-existent.

Yes, I must check back into reality today.

I hope you all have a very merry Monday!

XOXO,

Rachel

Check out where Im partying this week! (Link Parties)

http://www.myrepurposedlife.net/



Kitchen Makeover Bucket List:

Paint Countertops

Paint Cabinets

Add decorative moulding to ends of cabinets

Add decorative moulding to bar

Find a large round rug

Create Kitchen Art

Make a menu board

Tile Backsplash (to ceiling?)

New Kitchen Towels/Apron

Paint the Kitchen walls (?)

Install Undermount lighting

Install Abovemount (?) lighting

New Soap Dispenser (Organizer)

Freshen up the barstools (new color?)

Get rid of THE CLOUD (chandelier?)

Install recessed lighting

Add another pendant light over the sink

Redo shelving in pantry

Corbels under upper cabinets

Small pillows for barstools

Painted Kitchen Cabinets {The Reveal} - - Thrifty ...
Painted Kitchen Cabinets {The Reveal} - get all my supplies to paint my cabinets. Rustoleum Transformations ought to pay to paint my kitchen cabinets.

10 model Painted Kitchen Cabinets {the Reveal} Thrifty
now set the whole image as needed already exists 10 model Painted Kitchen Cabinets {the Reveal} Thrifty order collection neatly presented design drawings for all new

Painted Kitchen Cabinets The Reveal Thrifty - Free Image ...
Painted Kitchen Cabinets {The Reveal} - - Thrifty The day has come my friends. LET US REJOICE! My kitchen cabinet transformation is complete.

Painted Kitchen Cabinets The Reveal Thrifty | Personal Blog
Paint color advice kitchen maple cabinets, Question: kitchen paint color red maple cabinets. red maple cabinets black/gold granite counter tops stainless

Thrifty Decor Mom: Kitchen Reveal . . .
Y es people, it's true. I have finally finished painting my kitchen cabinets. It took a little longer than I expected but so worth it!! I know you all want

Thrifty Thursday...Painted Kitchen Cabinets - Suzanne ...
Thrifty ThursdayPainted Kitchen Cabinets. Well, hello! The day has finally come - I can reveal my newly painted kitchen cabinets. WooHoo!

Kitchen redo with white painted cabinets and tile backplash |
http://www.11magnolialane.com/2011/12/04/kitchen-redo-reveal-from I found your site through Thrifty I recently painted my kitchen cabinets SW

Before & After: Transforming a Dark Kitchen with a DIY ...
Before & After: Transforming a Dark Kitchen with a DIY Cabinet Makeover Kit. Thrifty Inspirations. See More: Thrifty Inspirations: Painted Kitchen Cabinet Reveal.

Painted Kitchen Cabinets {The Reveal} Thrifty Inspirations
Home » Painted Kitchen Cabinets {The Reveal} Thrifty Inspirations. Painted Kitchen Cabinets {The Reveal} Thrifty Inspirations. Author

Thrifty Decor Mom: How To Paint Cabinets ~ A Tutorial
How I painted my kitchen cabinets: How To Paint Cabinets ~ A Tutorial; Kitchen Reveal . . . Thrifty Decor Chick.

Previous
Next Post »