Kristen's Creations: ~~ Glazing Painted Kitchen Cabinets ~~

I hope you are all having a wonderful weekend!!

I have been busy busy...I think I said these cabinets would take about 5 more hours...Ha! More like 10...or more! I've been working on them in between other stuff, but it is a little more time consuming than I remembered.

I glazed these cabinets before we moved in the house almost 8 years ago. I had the painters paint them a cream color. I think the name of the color was alabaster... I'm going to have to check on that. You can see in the bottom cabinets that I put a very light glaze on them. I didn't want to mess them up at the time and really didn't know what I was doing either. Through the years I've always thought they needed a little more glaze to darken them just a little and add more warmth to the kitchen. Finally... after almost 8 years I've decided to tackle this project again! As you know I am also adding new hardware which really updates these cabinets! Love it! Click to enlarge the pics and you will be able to see the difference. It's not a huge change, but just enough to add a little more warmth and update to the kitchen.


This is the stain I used this time...it's called special walnut. The lady at the paint store suggested it. I am going to attempt to show how to do this...lol. First, wipe your cabinets down really good! You might even have to use a degreaser, especially on the cabinets by the stove. I haven't gotten that far yet...

You will need rags for staining and wiping and drop cloths for the floor...oh, and gloves unless you want brown stained hands like mine!

Dip the rag into the stain and rub it on the cabinets letting more stain seep into the creases.
Messy Messy! Be sure to cover the entire surface with the stain.

Last, with a clean rag start wiping it off in an up and down motion (especially in the middle) getting all excess stain off. You can leave as much as you like in the creases. That's all there is to it! See...it's pretty easy to do. Just a little messy, time consuming, and you will get your exercise! lol..I had to turn on the air!

If the cabinet paint is chipped it is going to show up dark when you add the stain (I found that out pretty quick) so you need to touch up all chipped paint. If you enlarge this last pic you will see some chips on the right hand side. Some of my cabinets have several chips in them so I am going Monday to get more paint. Once I touch them up I will just add a little stain over it and they should look fine.

If you have any questions please let me know...I am no expert on this, but will try and answer your questions on this post.

Just as soon as I'm done I'll post the entire kitchen!

Question: Does the stain have a sealer in it or do you have to apply a poly topcoat to protect the finish?

The stain does not have a sealer in it. I talked to the lady at the paint store and she did recommend a topcoat, she said alot of people don't put one on though. I did not apply one last time and it stayed on just fine. I am going to recommend it and when I'm done with everything I plan on putting a topcoat on.

Have a great rest of the weekend!

I am joining Carrie at Dittle Dattle and Susan at Between Naps On The Porch. Please pay these wonderful blogs a visit!
P.S. If you make a mesh wreath please e-mail me a picture to feature here on my blog!

Kristen's Creations: ~~Glazing Painted Kitchen Cabinets~~
I glazed these cabinets before we moved in the house almost 8 years ago. I had the painters paint them a cream color. I think the name of the color was

Kristen's Creations: ~~Glazing Painted Kitchen Cabinets ...
Kristen's Creations: ~~Glazing Painted Kitchen Cabinets~~ All about kitchens,decorate it,DIY Home,For the Home,FOR THE KITCHEN/DINING,furniture inspirations,House and

Kristen's Creations: ~~Glazing Painted Kitchen Cabinets ...
Kristen's Creations: ~~Glazing Painted Kitchen Cabinets~~ is creative inspiration for us. Get more photo about home decor related with by looking at photos gallery at

Kristens Creations: Glazing Painted Kitchen Cabinets
Saturday, March 5, 2011 . I have been busy busy. I think I said these cabinets would take about 5 more hours. Ha! More like 10. or more! Ive been working on them

Kristen S Creations Glazing Painted Kitchen Cabinets
Related Posts. Kristen's Creations: ~~Glazing Painted Kitchen Cabinets~~ This is the stain I used this timeit's called special walnut. The lady at the paint store

Kristen 39 s Creations Glazing Painted Kitchen Cabinets ...
Kristen 39 s Creations Glazing Painted Kitchen Cabinets If the cabinet paint is Kristen 39 s Creations Glazing Kristen 39 s Creations Glazing Painted Kitchen Cab

Kristen's Creations: ~~Glazing Painted Kitchen Cabinets~~
I have been busy busyI think I said these cabinets would take about 5 more hoursHa! More like 10or more! I've been working on them in between other stuff

Kristen's Creations
Kristen's Creations Promote Your Page Too. ~~Glazing Painted Kitchen Cabinets~~ I hope you are all having a wonderful weekend!! I have been busy busy

kitchen cabinets on Pinterest
Glazing Painted Kitchen Cabinets using old masters gel stain Kristen's Creations: ~~Glazing Painted Kitchen Cabinets~~ kristenscreationsonline.blogspot.com

Kristen's Creations: ~~Glazing Painted Kitchen Cabinets~~
Kristen's Creations: ~~Glazing Painted Kitchen Cabinets~~ | See more about painted kitchens, kitchen cabinets and painted kitchen cabinets.

Previous
Next Post »